Saturday, January 2, 2010

Unanswered Questions

I think I may be too logical and realistic for my own good. I am an annoying blend of dreamer and of one who prefers the safe route. I have known from the beginning that I do not want to be a starving artist. I do not want to spend my entire life wondering where my next paycheck is coming from. Many artists like to put a positive spin on this. They like to say "life as an artist is always an adventure", and that not knowing how you are going to pay your bills the next month "keeps things interesting" but I am not made that way. Maybe it was unwise for me to choose this career. Or was it? Because every time I come to this conclusion I always have the same question... "What else would you like to do instead?" And that is when my mind goes blank. My entire life has revolved around singing, acting, performing, directing, teaching, a.k.a 'The Arts'.
So, I am always going back and forth between the artistic voice inside of me, and the voice of reason. When I focus on the 'reason' side of myself, however, I can never move very far in that direction without turning back. Whenever I think about getting a 'safe' job, such as a 9-5 desk job outside of my field, I realize there is no way I could ever do that. I have known since elementary school that I would do everything I could to have a job I love and feel I was meant to do, and still, I cannot see myself letting that go. Ever.
I know there is a reason the Lord has set me on this path, but I have yet to know His intentions... Is there anyone out there with some good advice for me?

4 comments:

  1. Trust God and be open to His will and He will provide all your needs. Remember Jeremiah 29:11. I know He has some amazing plans for you. Planning and preparing is a wise thing but don't look too far into the future. Just take a day at a time and trust...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always play to your strengths, not your weaknesses. It may sound more practical to work a 9-5 job, but really, you'll make just as much money teaching as you would as an administrative assistant or salesperson, and you'll truly be doing what you love.

    I could perhaps serve as a cautionary example to you. I kept yielding to that "voice of reason," and now 20 years later, it's my biggest regret. Keep doing what you do best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure if you still read this due to the lack of activity since this post, but I will say to keep following your artistic voice. You are too young to be worrying about a "safe" job. Make your acting and teaching your "safe" job over time.

    You will find, as I have, that God's timing is perfect. Don't worry about His intentions. After reading The Purpose Driven Life, I have come to realize that God cares less about what job we have as to how we use the talents He gives us to glorify and honor Him. If you can do that through your acting and teaching, He will surely bless you however He sees fit.

    Keep going the direction you are now. God will move you if the need comes.

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete